Scenic Iceland & the Northern Lights (Winter 2020-2021)
Brochure Type: 2020 2021 Europe Winter
Experience a world of natural phenomena; by day marvel at waterfalls, volcanoes and incredible landscapes and by night, seek out the dancing lights that fill cloudless skies.
- Fontana: At a geothermal bakery, sample delicious rye bread dug hot from the ground, served with butter.
- Frioheimar: Explore a family-run farm and sample their sweet-tasting, homegrown tomatoes.
- Dining Summary: 6 Breakfasts (B), 3 Dinners (D) and 1 Dinner with Wine (DW), all with tea or coffee. Departures travelling over New Year's Eve and will enjoy a festive Highlight Dinner which will replace an included meal.
- Borganes: Learn about Iceland's history with a visit to the fascinating Icelandic Settlement Centre with your Local Expert.
- Reykjavik: Witness nature's most spectacular show on earth - the Northern Lights.
- Hellisheioavirkjun: Visit Iceland's newest geothermal heat and electric power station.
- Hvolsvollur: Visit the Lava Centre, an interactive museum where you will learn about the geology and natural occurrences that have influenced and created Iceland's incredible landscapes.
- Seljalandsfoss and Skogafoss: Admire the majestic beauty of these two impressive waterfalls.
- Hekla and Eyjafjallajokull: See these magnificent volcanoes.
- Gullfoss: See the spectacular two-tiered waterfall. This Icelandic equivalent of Niagara Falls drops a total of 32 metres, while spanning the entire width of the Hvita River.
- Geysir: Visit the famous spouting Geysir which has become synonymous with hot springs all around the world.
- Thingvellir: The Parliamentary Plains are the most important historic site of the country, as its the meeting place of the Althing, the world's oldest parliament founded in A.D. 930.
- Reykholt: Stop at this pretty village, home of poet and medieval scholar Snorri Sturluson.
- Reykjavik: Explore the city with your Local Expert. See the old town centre, the parliament building, Hofoi House, the colourful harbour and the Hallgrimskirkja.
- Blue Lagoon: Enjoy a truly indulgent, once-in-a-lifetime experience at the most visited attraction in Iceland. Its geothermal seawater flows from volcanic aquifers 2,000 metres within the earth, emerging at the surface enriched with algae, silica, and minerals. With new-found friends, enjoy bathing in the lagoon in style, as you sip on a celebratory cocktail.
- Scenic Drives: Enjoy the scenery, like nowhere else in the world, as you travel along the South coast, crossing the high plateau of Hellisheioi outside of Reykjavik. Black sand stretches out towards the ocean creating a dreamy scene and see the spectacular rock formations of Dyrholaey and Reynisdrangar. Journey through part of The Golden Circle, witnessing mighty Gullfoss waterfall and Thingvellir National Park.
- Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas.
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight's luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom.
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary.
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door.
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency. We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available).
- From time to time, your Travel Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination.
- If your arrival and/or departure flights are as per the itinerary start and end dates, then transfers are available at scheduled times. If your flights are outside these times, or you have booked additional nights accommodation with Insight Vacations, you may purchase transfers or make your own way from/to the airport.
Call 1 (800) 658-0869 for more information or to book today! Mention code 15110333
- Tour Operator
- Insight Vacations
- Offer valid through 12/31/2020
- 7 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Reykjavik||The Viking City of Reykjavik.: Welcome to Iceland. At Reykjavik's Keflavik Airport, you will be welcomed and transferred to your hotel. Join your Travel Director and travelling companions at 18:15 for your Welcome Reception and enjoy the opportunity to get to know each other over a pleasant evening of wine and a light buffet. Afterwards, search for the most spectacular show on Earth - the Northern Lights, or Aurora Borealis. See the breathtaking night sky filled with an array of different colours. Please note: The Northern Lights are a natural phenomenon and therefore sightings cannot be guaranteed.|
|Day 2||Vik||South Shore Adventure to Vik.: Take a journey through the stunning landscape of Iceland's south coast to visit its newest geothermal heat and electric power station at Hellisheidarvirkjun. Travel to the modern Lava Centre in Hvolsvollur, dedicated to Iceland's riveting volcanic activity and earthquakes. Your journey continues as you witness the majesty of Seljalandsfoss and Skogafoss. Stand awestruck by the beauty and powerful force of these thundering waterfalls before venturing on to view more phenomena. After seeing the magnificent Hekla and Eyjafjallajokull volcanoes, arrive in the welcoming community of Vik. Later, perhaps enjoy another chance to go in search of the mystical Northern Lights? (Breakfast / Dinner)|
Hotel Kria, Vik.
|Day 3||Fluoir||The Golden Circle to Fluoir.: Embark on a day of discovery around Iceland's Golden Circle, taking in some of the famous landmarks this magical country has to offer. In Fontana, visit a geothermal bakery to sample the delicious rye bread, dug hot from the ground and served with butter. Experience the exploding hot springs at Geysir and the mighty Gullfoss waterfalls, the Icelandic equivalent of Niagara Falls. Next stop is Frioheimar, to learn about Icelandic greenhouse horticulture. Visit a family-run vegetable farm that specialises in tomatoes. Explore their greenhouses and sample the sweet, unique flavour of their lovingly grown crop. Continue to your hotel in Fluoir, where there is again a chance to look to the night sky and watch nature's theatre unfold. (Breakfast / Dinner)|
Icelandair Hotel Fluoir.
|Day 4||Thingvellir||Thingvellir, Borgarnes and Husafell.: Continue to Thingvellir, a remarkable UNESCO World Heritage Site that lies on the Mid-Atlantic Ridge line, where the North American and Eurasian tectonic plates meet. The first meeting of the Icelandic parliament was held here in A.D. 930. In Borgarnes, learn about Iceland's history with a fascinating visit to the Icelandic Settlement Centre. Your travels continue to Deildartunguhver, Europe's most powerful hot spring. Journey along the trail of Viking warrior and poet Egill Skallagrimsson and stop at Reykholt for an orientation with your Travel Director. Enjoy views of the Hraunfossar and Barnafoss waterfalls as you drive through glorious landscapes. (Breakfast / Dinner)|
|Day 5||Reykjavik||Reykjavik sightseeing.: Journey back to the capital of Reykjavik, where a Local Expert will show you Old Reykjavik, the 19th century parliament building and Hofoi House. In 1986, US President Ronald Reagan and Soviet Premier Mikhail Gorbachev met here for the famous Reykjavik Summit. Continue to see the colourful harbour and the modern, landmark church, the Hallgrimskirkja, which can be seen from almost anywhere in the city. The afternoon is at leisure. (Breakfast)|
|Day 6||Reykjavik||The Blue Lagoon.: Relax and enjoy your final day with a visit to Reykjavik's Blue Lagoon accompanied by a celebratory cocktail. Surrounded by lava fields and snow-capped mountains, the Lagoon is a wonder of nature and offers a unique experience for both body and soul. Choose to bathe in the pleasantly warm, mineral-rich geothermal waters, or perhaps enjoy a water massage or spa treatment? Facilities also include an indoor geothermal pool, a winter garden and restaurants. With your newfound friends, toast to the culmination of your fascinating journey of discovery during a celebratory dinner. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
|Day 7||Reykjavik||Depart Reykjavik.: Your Icelandic adventure comes to an end, with a transfer to Reykjavik's Keflavik Airport. (Breakfast)|
- Notes: Twin prices are per person. (01 Nov and 24 Jan) There is a 01 Nov and 24 Jan5% reduction to the Single Supplement on these departures, subject to availability. In Iceland, Insight stays at the best available properties. Hotels are typical of the region and much simpler in style with clean rooms and private facilities. (27 Dec) Highlight Festive Dinners: This departure will have New Year's Eve in Reykjavik.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class